With winter finally starting to settle in, we always seem to find ourselves looking for those winter essentials to get us through the cold, dark months. Although winter is my least favorite month (i’m a summer girl!), I’ve found some items that definitely make me not want to absolutely hate the cold! Here are some of my top choices for winter essentials this year:
1. Cable Knit Sweater- I love sweaters. I find myself wearing sweaters 5 out of the 7 days of the week. Cable knit sweaters are the perfect thing to throw on with a scarf, boots, jeans, and you’re ready to go. They are made with pretty heavy material, so not a lot of layering is needed. They also come in all sorts of colors-white, maroon, army green, mustard, etc. so you can always play up your look!
2. Riding Boots-The best boots you can buy. I feel as if boots are shoes that you can splurge on because the right kind of boot can really make an outfit. My Steve Madden’s have never failed me, even after 2 years. You can wear riding boots with just about anything–whether it’s jeans, leggings, or a dress. L.L. Bean Boots, or commonly know as “Bean Boots” are a common trend on the winter prep scene. I recommend buying boots that are 1. GOOD quality and something that will last you for a couple years; and 2. In two basic colors-black and brown. So instead of investing in a pair of mainstream UGGs, take that money and buy yourself a pair (or two!) of great riding boots!
3. Flannels-Flannels are seriously the most comfortable things EVER. I feel as if flannels can be woven into just about anyone’s personal style. In the winter, I tend to lean towards flannels that are red, gray, or green. Flannels are great for lazy days where you can throw on a scarf on top and some leggings and be ready to go. They can also be dressed up by pairing in under a sweater with the collar peaking out or under a vest. And the thing is, you don’t need to spend a lot of money on flannels. Check out your local thrift stores in the Men’s section. Jackpot!
4. Flats-I feel as if flats are a year round shoe. Living in North Carolina gives me ability to wear flats in many days out of the winter, due to the fact that it doesn’t get that cold here. Nude and black flats are a must because you can wear them with just about any outfit, but colored flats (red, teal, etc.) are also great additions to an outfit. Make sure to look for a pair that is comfortable and can last you for a decent amount of time. My favorite, good quality flats are from Target and Marshalls, but you can always invest in flats like the Tory Burch “Reva”.
5. Quilted vests/coats- My mom has been rocking the quilted pattern for awhile, but recently grew an obsession for it! The quilted trend has been all over the prepster Tumblr blogs, and it’s a trend I can’t stop reblogging. I recently bought a red quilted jacket and I’m in love! My favorite colors include navy, red, and army green. And if you are really obsessed with your vest, get it monogrammed!
6. Fleece-Fleece has been around for years. But honestly, you cannot go wrong with a fleece jacket. There so many brands you can choose from–Colombia, North Face, Patagonia, etc. But a good fleece jacket will keep you really warm throughout the colder months.
7. Scarves-An obvious winter essential. I have an obsession and I’m not afraid to admit it. Scarves can be worn with just about any outfit. Scarves can be relatively cheap at places life Marshalls and TJ MAXX, so go ahead and go crazy!
8. Skater skirts-Skater skirts are a year round fashion item, which I love. Channeling the short skirts from the 80’s, skater skirts have been very popular this season. My favorites include a basic black (of course), royal blue, maroon, and green. Even patterned skater skirts are making a debut. For Christmas, I got my best friend a hounds-tooth skater skirt which she loves. For the winter time, throw on a pair of tights underneath, and you’re ready to go.
So there you go, those are some of my winter essentials. I know there are a ton more so I’d like to know in the comments (or in the poll): What are your must-haves for the winter season?